Although 2020 was not favourable to us, tech giants did not record a decline in profits. Quite the contrary. Both Google and Facebook gained by the pandemic. There is no indication that this situation should change. At least not in the nearest time. We curiously follow changes in legislation or updates to iOS 14, which may have a huge impact on the leader’s position – especially Facebook’s. What will arise from it – remains secret at the moment.
Recent months have brought us lots of innovations too – both for users and advertisers. It is increasingly evident that a sharp turn to automation is impossible to avoid. However, aside from such expansive and time-consuming projects as work on machine learning, specialists from Silicon Valley make new improvements and features available in due time.
One of such changes is the presentation of lead form extensions on accounts. For the time being, it is a BETA version, however an extremely promising one.
What is a lead form extension?
Google recommends adding extensions to a campaign, whenever possible. If you have not paid attention to that so far – it is high time you considered available options. The most popular and in fact basic extensions are as follows:
- links to subpages,
- information on a website,
Furthermore, we can make use of app, promotion or graphic extensions. Depending on how your website looks like – it is worthwhile to add as many extensions as possible. Many of them convert perfectly. Thanks to them, we are able to notify of promotions or extra services, without the necessity of launching separate campaigns specially for such actions. Of course, we should not forget that it is not art for art’s sake – an initiative aimed to serve a user.
Despite many options of extensions, advertisers realized that Google Ads lacked a solution similar to Facebook’s lead ads. Comfortable and quick lead collection is often important to many clients. The introduction of a contact form extension has made it a response to these needs.
How to create a lead form extension?
We will focus on Webhook integration by means of Zapier in our article, but for those who are not knowledgeable about ways of creating a lead form extension, we have a following quick guidebook at your disposal:
- The first step is obviously going to a Google Ads panel and selecting an “Extension” tab from the menu on the left side. Then, click a blue plus and select an appropriate extension from the list. Such preview will display as below:
- At the start, it is necessary to create the appropriate headlines and descriptions and fill in the company name. Remember to keep to sign limits and use good practice in creating a copy. Next, select questions you wish to ask users.
Unfortunately – adding custom questions is not possible. However, options made available by Google are exceptionally broad and versatile. Keep in mind that once your form is saved, you are unable to edit given questions.
- Then, it is necessary to complete information in the section with a message confirming submission of the form. At this point, you can place a link to your website for a user to refer to it and get to know more about your product or services.
- The last step in creating an extension is selection of a call-to-action button and creation of an appropriate button description:
- The final step is the selection of a type of leads download. You can select the first option, where you will have to download leads manually. However, this solution can be inconvenient and time-consuming.
A notably more convenient method is integration via Webhook.
How to integrate Webhook with form extension?
To integrate Webhook with lead form extension, you are required to set up an account on Zapier. What is Zapier? As they write themselves on their website:
“Zapier is a tool designed for on-line automation, which connects your apps and services. You can connect one or more applications to automate recurrent tasks without coding or relying on programmers while creating an integration”.
Setting up an account is unpaid, and the tool itself is really useful. Feel encouraged to visit their website to gain a more insightful knowledge.
How to integrate lead form extension using Zapier?
- Once you have correctly logged in Zapier, you will see the main screen. To see an integration, enter “Zaps”
- Next, you will need to click “Create zap”:
- In the following step, you should select a trigger – that is the app, which we want to integrate. In the case of Google’s Lead Form Extension, Zapier premium version shall be required:
- Once you have selected an appropriate trigger, you must confirm your option. Upon clicking “Save”, you shall see a generated Webhook URL:
- Then, you can test the correctness of action or skip this step. If all is in the working order, proceed to the 2nd step, in which you shall select an application, where leads are to be gathered, as soon as Webhook records them. We will use Google Spreadsheet:
- After selection of spreadsheets, you must decide how your new spreadsheet is to be saved. We recommend using the option “Create Spreadsheet Row”. This will allow to store all leads in one location, without creating separate documents. Of course, you may select a different option, if necessary.
- Once the mode of adding leads has been selected, you need to connect an account.
To connect your account with Zapier:
- Go to “My Apps”,
- Select Google Sheet,
- Click “Add Connection”,
- Select a Gmail account in a window or add a new account,
- Enable Zapier’s access to required data.
- It is ready for use! An account will show up on the list.
You may also do it directly while creating a Zap, by clicking a button at the bottom:
- As soon as accounts are connected, choose a defined file, where a lead is to be saved:
- Google Drive (or other location),
- Select a spreadsheet, where you will upload leads,
- Choose a spreadsheet, in which they will be collected.
Do not forget to properly configure a spreadsheet. You can check the requirements here. If you have columns described in the first spreadsheet row, Zapier will automatically drag them:
Setting up an automatic notification of a new lead
If you wish to know when a new lead comes in – set up a notification in Zapier.
- Enter a Zap and add the next application, by clicking a blue plus at the bottom. Select an Email by Zapier app:
- Then fill in the required information and the ones you will deem useful or necessary for your actions:
As you set up all rightly – click a test button and check whether or not an e-mail is sent correctly to an indicated address. If so – click “Turn on Zap” and it is done!
How to finish an integration in extensions in a Google Ads panel?
If you already have all things set in Zapier, the time has come for the final step – which is Webhook connection to a lead form extension. To this end, you are required to go back to contact form settings and select an integration via Webhook in the last field.
Paste Webhook address into a relevant field… and it is finished! Simply confirm creation of an extension.
Why is it worth using a Webhook integration via Zapier with lead form extension?
If you intend to use contact form extensions in Google Ads, it is worthwhile to apply integration with Webhook from the start. As you notice, it is very simple and intuitive. A few minutes are enough to facilitate your own work considerably and prevent from overlooking leads. If you are still unconvinced, check up all the reasons for which it is worth integrating lead forms:
- Saving on time – you do not have to download leads manually,
- A person responsible for lead processing does not need to have access to Google Ads panel,
- All leads are gathered in one location,
- You shall avoid informational chaos – in particular, if more than a single person is engaged in collecting leads,
- You shall avoid an event when some of the leads get lost and go unnoticed,
- Integration lasts for a few minutes only,
- Zapier can also be used for other integrations – e.g. with Facebook’s lead ads,
- You shall put into use the next automation to streamline the operation of your company.
In case you need any support in this integration or other activities – please contact us, and we will be happy to help!
Interested in Google Ads? Check out our blog articles on Google Display Network!